Friday, September 17, 2010

Don't cut the rainforest trees down because...

Have you seen the Tadpole Travels video? If not, scroll down and make sure you check it out now before you read the latest blog!!!


Today we went back to the first week of Term 3 and remembered our learning about birds. We put the birds into the correct layers of the rainforest. The harpy eagle, macaw and lorikeet live in the emergent layer. The toucan and quetzal are canopy dwellers.



Then we spent some time recalling the book that started Room 3's Rain forest growing. The Great Kapok Tree. We used drama to help us think about what might happen if people cut down rainforest trees.

We all started by taking on the role of a creature in the rainforest. Then we used a drama technique called Spoken Thoughts. We stayed in role as a rainforest creature and when we were tapped on the shoulder we spoke the thought that was in our head.

Read on to see all the really neat reasons why Room 3 thinks people shouldn't cut down rainforest trees.



Libby the frog says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be no place for my nest."

Josiah the snake says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because I will be angry because there will be no place for me to lay eggs."

Destiny the frog says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere for my tadpoles."

Kaylee the toucan says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere for me to eat."

Stefan the quetzal says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere for my eggs."

Cairo the leopard says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere for me to get my dinner."

Aden the red eyed tree frog says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere to get a drink."

Briah the snake says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere for me to sleep."

Mina the Harpy Eagle says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because the rainforest will turn into a dessert."

Luke the snake says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere for me to have dinner."

Kerrianne the frog says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because it's my home."

Zoe the butterfly says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere to fly."

Dylan the frog says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because it's my home."

Rebecca the snake says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because it's my home."

Koby the frog says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere to jump."

Tigue the snake says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere to hang my clothes."

Kelli the toucan says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere for my nest."

Arleyah the toucan says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because I will have nowhere to live."

Annashay the red eyed tree frog says, "Don't cut down rainforest trees because there will be nowhere to do the dishes."

Pretty amazing thoughts eh? We hope that people think really hard about what might happen if all the rainforest trees are cut down.

2 comments:

lisa said...

WOW! You have done some amazing work lately Room 3. I really liked all your reasons for not cutting down the rainforest- you really made me think about all the wonderful animals that live there. It is a very special place. Maybe one day some of you will travel there and see it for yourselves.
Love Mrs O'D

Dillon-Roberts said...

What a great way to remember your learning by role-playing! I am very impressed! Ms. D x